Welcoming a cat in our home implies a great responsibility, because although we are facing an independent and very autonomous animal, as owners we must be able to meet all their needs to guarantee full well-being.
It is necessary to periodically take care of your health and comply with the established vaccination program, but beyond this, many owners are increasingly choosing to protect the health of their pet through other more natural and less aggressive methods with the organism of the animal.
If you want to take care of your cat in the best possible way in this article of Animal Expert we show you what are the Home remedies for intestinal parasites in cats.
Intestinal parasites in cats
The intestinal tract of the cat can be infested by different types of parasites, but we must mention the following as the main ones:
- Vermes: Vermes are known as worms or worms and there are two types, those that have a round shape are known as Nematodes and those whose shape is flat are called Cestodes.
- Protozoa: These are single-celled parasites, mainly there are two types, Coccidia and Glardias.
The eggs of these parasites are expelled through the feces of already infected cats, therefore, the main route of infection is through the intake of infected feces or through the intake of small rodents that had ingested infected feces from parasite eggs.
Symptoms of intestinal parasites in cats
A cat whose gastrointestinal tract has been colonized by parasites may show the following symptoms:
- Discomfort and lethargy
One of the clearest signs that will warn us about the presence of intestinal parasites in our pet is to observe worms in the cat's feces.
If you observe in your cat some of the symptoms that we have mentioned above do not hesitate to go to the veterinarian, since these symptoms also may correspond to other diseases and it is important to properly verify the diagnosis and that the veterinarian supervises the natural treatment for the intestinal parasites of the cat, which will be possible as long as the infestation is not severe.
In the same way it is important to go to the veterinarian since some parasites can cause a zoonosis, that is, to be transmitted to humans, although this occurs rarely.
Home remedies for cat intestinal parasites
Let's see below what home remedies we can use to effectively combat the intestinal parasites of our cat:
- Fasting with apple cider vinegar: A fast day will be highly beneficial for our pet, since when the body does not use energy to perform digestion it has a greater and better predisposition to detoxify. In the cat's water we will add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, which is a potent antiseptic that by passing through the digestive tract will eliminate the presence of parasites.
- Garlic: Garlic is a highly medicinal food, because it has a potent antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial activity, being also useful to eliminate intestinal parasites. Contrary to what one might believe, it is not part of the prohibited foods for cats, since this information could not be verified. You should mix a tablespoon of garlic with your food, twice a day and for 15 days.
- Ground pumpkin seeds: They act as an effective and gentle laxative, therefore, they will help your cat's organism so that it can completely get rid of parasites. You should apply a tablespoon in your food for a week.
- Thyme: Thyme is a plant with a powerful antiseptic activity that will help eliminate parasites from your pet's gastrointestinal tract, and it is completely safe for cats. Crush it to a powder and add a tablespoon in your meal, once a day and for several days.
As we mentioned earlier, It is important that the veterinarian supervises this type of treatment, since he will also tell us what methods we should combine, or if on the contrary, it will be enough to apply a single home remedy.
The best tool is prevention
Go to the veterinarian of periodic form To deworm your cat, he will indicate the frequency depending mainly on the age of your cat and whether it has more or less contact with the outside.
It will also be of great importance that the cat's environment is in some optimal hygiene conditions and finally, we must mention that proper eating and a healthy lifestyle will help keep your immune system in perfect condition and therefore prevent infestation by these types of parasites.
This article is purely informative, at ExpertAnimal.com we have no power to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case he presents any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for intestinal parasites in catsWe recommend that you enter our section on Home Remedies.
In the treatment of parasites of our pets, there are many solutions. How to deworm cats with tricks and home remedies?
The risk is always present when it comes to pets. If we learn how to deworm cats with home remedies, We will minimize what can be a big problem. It is a simple and really economical way to keep those annoying visitors at bay. The important thing is that we always consult with the veterinarian before applying any product, even if it is natural.
A cat is an ideal pet. In addition to beautiful, they are usually very affectionate, playful, intelligent and sometimes very independent. But, like every pet, is exposed to attack by external parasites, Even if they never leave the house.
How to deworm cats with home remedies
There are several products that are within our reach and that we can mix to prepare certain home remedies to deworm cats. They are usually part of our pantry and therefore easily acquired. But before applying them it is advisable to consult the veterinarian, to rule out possible allergies.
The very useful apple cider vinegar
Two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar diluted in 200 milliliters of water become a effective external parasite repellent. Fleas and ticks run away when we spray this mixture on the cat's hair.
To counteract intestinal parasites it is recommended a fast day with apple cider vinegar. We pour two tablespoons in the cat's water container to eat throughout the day. When passing through the digestive tract, vinegar will use its antiseptic effect to eliminate parasites.
Ground pumpkin seeds, effective laxative
A tablespoon of pumpkin seeds ground in the meal will work as A mild and effective laxative. We must place it once a day to help the cat completely expel the parasites.
Remember that nothing replaces visits to the veterinarian or an adequate vaccination schedule. But taking care of our pet's health is made easier with these home remedies to deworm cats. Do you dare to try them?
What symptoms can a cat be infected by parasites?
Let us know some of the symptoms that will indicate that our cat may have parasites:
Anal purity, diarrhea or constipation, colic, anemia (paleness of the mucous membranes), dehydration, fever, bulging and painful belly, loss of appetite, dull and rough hair, allergies and skin problems (itching, inflammation, dermatitis, etc. .) Also their mood changes, they can be depressed or irritable.
How do fleas and ticks affect our cat?
Fleas and ticks are parasites that can spread diseases to our cat.
The street, the green areas, another cat, etc. They are potential sources of contagion.
This does not mean that our cat has to be isolated, only that it is necessary to prevent an infestation, because in a massive contagion cats may be at risk of contracting some diseases.
These are some of the diseases that can affect our cat if they suffer a contagion of these parasites:
- Dipil> Is there a difference between deworming cats and dogs?
When deworming, naturally, we have to take into account that the cat and the dog are different organisms, their metabolisms act with different needs. The same goes for food, sometimes we come to think that because we are domestic animals we can feed them any type of food we normally consume, and it is not so. There are foods that harm them because their body cannot digest them or they do not need them.
To deworm cats there are several kinds of plants with anthelmintic, vermifuge and antiparasitic effect.
How to deworm cats with plants:
- Thyme: It is an aromatic plant, from which we use its leaves and flowers. Ingested has antiparasitic properties, we can also apply it to wounds and to relieve itching due to allergies. Cats can eat it on their own, although you can let the leaves and flowers dry, crush them to powder and mix with food.
- Azadirachta indicates, also called Nim or Neem tree. It is given to ingest the extract of the bark and the leaves or the oil of its seeds, of bitter taste. For external use, in allergies caused by flea and tick bites, infuse in a cup of water, place two tablespoons of leaves and bark let cool and apply
These plants can also serve to deworm our dogs, we must take into account that there are plants that can only be used with dogs.
How to prevent parasites in your cat?
These tips can be useful to prevent the spread of our gator:
- With proper cleaning of your litter box and usual sites.
- Deworming and disinfecting the cat two or three times a year, emphasizing the warm seasons> Natural repellent against fleas and ticks
How to deworm flea and tick cats with natural repellents:
Cider Vinegar: It is a great disinfectant, healing and natural repellent against fleas and ticks.
Dilute 2 teaspoons in a ¼ liter with water and apply directly to the pet's skin and hair, not only will it be shiny but free of parasites, it is also useful if you have allergies.
Putting a teaspoon a day in your water trough, we will be strengthening and stimulating your immune system.
Beer yeast: It is a fungus rich in vitamin B group, in particular when ingesting vitamin B1, which contains thiamine, acts as a repellent for external parasites.
You can mix it in the food. Cats are attracted to eat it, it is also recommended as a nutritional supplement.
Before entering into the subject, it is important that you know that natural remedies are effective, but you have to apply it more often than an antiparasitic that you can buy in pet stores or veterinary clinics. In addition, home remedies are usually used more to prevent than to fight, since they are late efficacy. For this reason, if your friend has a serious problem with parasites, both intestinal and external, it is preferable to take it to a professional to tell us what insecticide we should use.
Of course, unlike the chemists, with the homemade the risk of poisoning is virtually nil, so they are highly recommended when we believe or know that the hairy is allergic to any component of chemical antiparasitics.
That said, let's move on, now yes, namely what home remedies can we give them to our cats to keep them away from annoying parasites.
- Bathe your cat with lavender or citronella oil (or you can make a mixture of both). If you are afraid of water, apply the diluted oil> Tick remedies
- Cut a sliced lemon and bring it to a boil in a pot with water. Let it sit one night and, the next day, spray your cat or give it a “bath” (in real> Remedies against lice
Lice are parasites that, unlike fleas and ticks, do not leave the ‘host’, in this case the cat. However, there is something you can do and it is bathe it every three days with water to which you will have added the liquid of two lemons.
Do not forget to wash the beds, blankets, sheets, and others that the animal has used to rest. If it doesn't improve, take it to the vet So I can tell you what you should do to permanently eliminate lice.
To combat them and repel internal parasites, you can give your hairy the following:
- Mix it ground dried thyme With your usual food.
- For a week, you can give him a small scoop of Pumpkin seeds. Mix them with wet food and you will surely eat them without problem. In addition, they will serve you, not only to expel and prevent intestinal parasites, but also as a laxative.
- Leave your adult cat (do not do if it is less than 1 year old) fasting for a full day, or at least 12 hours, allowing you to only drink water with a couple of small tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. The next day, mix another teaspoon of garlic with your meal.
It may seem like a cruel act, but allowing the body itself to rest for a day or 12 hours for the digestive system to clean itself with the water it drinks, will help eliminate lice, whether in cats, dogs or humans.
As for garlic, it is said to be a very toxic food for domestic animals, but so far no serious study has been found that indicates such a thing, rather the opposite: this food is a natural insecticide that, in very small amounts, it turns out to be very beneficial for cats (by the way, also for humans 🙂).
Despite being a very effective remedy, it should not be left fasting for a day or 12 hours more than in those cases where the other remedies have not had the expected effect.
Do you know more tricks to rid the furry of pests?